Taking your car abroad

Driving abroad in other countries :-


Vignette should also be purchased if driving in Austria. The cost is around 22.90 Euros at the time of publishing this information.


Vignette should be purchased if driving in Switzerland. The cost is around CHF40 ( about 55.00 Euros ) at the time of publishing this information. The e-vignette will be linked to the number plate, whereas the old sticker system was stuck to the windscreen and could not be transferred. Under the new system, the number plate can be changed online if you purchase a different vehicle, so can be transferred.

Toll Roads

France and Italy have toll system, so remember to budget for the extra costs as this can make quite a difference to your wallet.

Abroad for Less than 12 months :-

You should take your vehicle log book (V5C) with you if you’re taking your vehicle abroad for less than 12 months. You may have to show it if you’re stopped at a port or while driving abroad by police / border controls.

Make sure your V5C has your current addreess.

You can apply in advance if you need to get a V5C or update your V5C before you travel. Due to Coronavirus (COVID-19) it may take longer than usual to process.

UK law still applies to a UK-registered vehicle if you take it abroad for less than 12 months. That means you need to make sure:

  • your vehicle is taxed in the UK while it’s abroad
  • you have a current MOT
  • you have insurance

You’ll also need to make sure you meet any international or national conditions for licensing and taxation.

Bringing your vehicle back untaxed

If you bring your vehicle back to the UK untaxed you cannot drive it back into the UK – it’ll have to be transported and a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) must be made straight away.