The holder of an EU or EEA driving licence may exchange it for an equivalent Spanish licence.
To request an appointment to exchange your UK license visit the DGT website
An application should be made to the Provincial Traffic Headquarters of the applicant’s province of residence a completed application form needs to be completed. The form is issued by the Provincial Traffic Headquarters.
- Application form (PDF in Spanish)
- Proof of identity (passport original and copy)
- Proof of residence ( NIE number – Número de Identificación de Extranjero)
- Valid driving licence to be exchanged (original and photocopy)
- Two recent photographs (32 by 25 mm)
- Declaration in writing stating that the applicant has not been banned or suspended from driving
- Declaration in writing stating that the applicant does not hold another driving licence of the same class in another country
- Fee of €28.30 (2020 rate)
AFor further info visit the DGT . The website is available in English
UK driving licenses will no longer be valid for driving in Spain from the 31st December 2020. Permanent residents from the UK must exchange, renew or replace their license with a Spanish one before that date.
The DGT is aware that UK and other licence holders are facing problems in obtaining an appointment. They will soon introduce a new process to streamline the current exchange process until the end of the year. UK licence holders will be asked to complete a form with the details the DGT needs in order to verify the driving licence with the UK authorities. This form must be submitted to the DGT by 25 December at the very latest.
Once a person has presented their form, they will need to obtain an appointment with DGT to finalise the exchange process. However, as long as the form was submitted by the date above, and the licence verified by the DGT before the end of the year, the appointment to complete the process can be after 1 January 2021.