21 November, 2016



Taking Vehicle Abroad


UK nationals who are not residents may bring their car into Spain, but neither they nor anyone else can use it in Spain for more than six months in any one year. Anyone who spends more than a total of six months a year in Spain is considered resident, and so not entitled to this.


The procedures relating to importation are complicated. The motoring associations in Britain, and the Real Automóvil Club de España can provide guidance, but the main source of information is the Directorate-General of Customs in Madrid. (Dirección General de Aduanas en Madrid, C/ Guzmán el Bueno 137, 28003 Madrid. Tel. (00 34) 91 553 02 00, Fax. (00 34) 91 553 52 42.)


If non-residents become resident they must obtain full national plates and pay the Impuesto Especial of 12%, which is based on the car's ready-reckoned value. (Non-residents from outside the EU are exempt from the Impuesto Especial).

Residents importing a vehicle must register it with the local authorities and obtain Spanish national plates. They should surrender the British vehicle's Registration Document to the DVLA in the UK and obtain a certificate of permanent export (V756) from them to present in Spain.

Road worthiness certificates for right-hand drive cars are available from Spanish ITV (MOT) centres. Some adjustments to the vehicle may be needed to comply with EU regulations.

For help with the transfer of vehicles from English to Spanish plates, please email us and one of our staff will be happy to assist you in this, and will let you know how much we charge to aid in the completion of the  ITV, and the paperwork.  Email us now...

Purchase of new cars in Spain is subject to 16% IVA (VAT), payable the first time a car is bought and registered. When the car is sold on in Spain, the Impuesto de Transmisiones (Transference Tax) of 4% must be paid.

Traffic Regulations require that the following items be kept in the vehicle (subject to change):

Set of bulbs and tools necessary to replace them
Two warning triangles - officially approved by the Ministerio del Interior, bearing a round symbol E9 and the code 27R03
Spare tyre and the tools necessary to replace it
1 reflective jacket

A spare pair of glasses (for those who wear spectacles to drive)



Spanish insurance regulations differ from those in the UK. For example, when a vehicle is declared a write-off in Spain, the insurance company pays only a percentage of the vehicle's current value, even when the policy is 'fully comprehensive'.

EU legislation requires that motorists in member states have full third party insurance. However, there is nothing which regulates what is applicable to third party or comprehensive insurance. This is a matter for member states, whose regulations differ.

It is important to check carefully what cover your policy provides. ASEGURACE may provide guidance, Tel: 902 120 441.

Green Card

The Green Card System was introduced on 1st January 1953 under the aegis of the Economic Commission for Europe of the United Nations and is managed by the Council of Bureaux, a body established in London in 1949.

where is the green card system operated

The Green Card System is primarily a European System. It presently includes most, but not all European Countries, west of the Urals and the Caspian Sea and Countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea.

What are the objectives of the green card system?

  • to ensure that Third Party victims of road traffic accidents do not suffer from the fact that injuries or damage sustained by them were caused by a visiting motorist rather than a motorist resident in the same country.
  • to avoid the need for motorists to obtain insurance cover at each of the frontiers of the countries which they visit.

How are the objectives achieved?Through the activities of the Green Card Bureaux established by Law or Regulation in each of the 44 Countries participating in the System.All Green Card Bureaux operate with the recognition and approval of their Governments.

Each Green Card Bureau has two functions:

  • as a "Bureau of the country of the accident", it has responsibility in accordance with national legal provisions for Compulsory Third Party Motor Insurance for the handling and settlement of claims arising from accidents caused by visiting motorists.
  • as a "Guaranteeing Bureau" it guarantees certificates of Motor Insurance - ("Green Cards") which are issued by its member insurance companies to their policyholders.

National bureau cooperate on the basis of the Internal Regulations signed bilaterally between each of them.

What exactly is a Green Card?The Green Card is equivalent to the national Motor Insurance Certificates of each and all of the Countries which a motorist visits. As such it is accepted without any obstacle or cost by the Authorities of all countries for which the individual Green Card is valid.The Green Card certifies that the visiting motorist has at least the minimum compulsory Third Party insurance cover required by the Laws of the countries visited.

How can I get a green card? Motorists should obtain Green Cards from the Insurer who has issued their motor insurance policy.

Do I need a Green Card for all countries that I may visit ? For visits by motorists to 29 of the 44 Countries participating in the Green Card System the Green Card is not a required document since it is substituted by the national vehicle registration plates of those 29 Countries, which are - the 25 Member Countries of the European Union as well as Croatia, Iceland, Norway, and Switzerland.

The national registration plates of the 29 countries signify to the Authorities of the country that the vehicle concerned is insured in respect only of the Third Party liabilities for which insurance is compulsory. Motorists are therefore urged to find out from their Insurers:

  • what, if any, insurance documentation is necessary for the countries to be visited; the extent of the cover provided by their own motor insurance policies for the countries visited
  • the procedure to be followed in the event of an accident in a visited Country.


Car Transfer Enquiry Form

Complete the form below with regards to tranferring your vehicle from English / French / German to Spanish Registered Vehicle. We will then send you a quote once we have the informaton required.

* Your email address:
* Confirm email address:
Transmission / Gears
Air Conditioning
Power Steering
Electric Windows
Emisions of Vehicle
CC of Vehicle
Chassis Number


Learning to Drive / Escuelas de Conducción

En nuestra página Learn, hay una serie de instructores de conducción para elegir, aquí en Mallorca,clik en la placa L



On our Learn page, there are a number of driving instructors to choose from, here in Mallorca - Just click on the L Plate






Car Hire / Alquiler Coches

There are many car hire companies operating in Mallorca. We have information and links for some of them below. Many of the companies are based at the airport and there are some more exclusive that will meet you on arrival and pick up your car on your return to the airport without any worries about parking etc. Click Here / Haga clic aqui

Car Insurance/Seguro de Coches

There are numerous insurance companies operating in Spain. We have information and links for some of them on our dedicated page. Click Here / Haga clic aqui