Category Archives: Uncategorized

Transport in Mallorca


Please see the information we have gathered regarding transport, which includes, ferries, air travel, local public transport, train and bus. Also information on parking in Palma.

Soller Train

El Tren De Soller. Tourist train which provides a service between Palma and Soller. Travellers wanting to use this service can buy tickets at he station on the same day of travel. It is not possible to purchase tickets in advance.

Bus /  Coach Companies

Discount Card – for Bus, Train and Metro Services for the TIB service –  Intermodal


Airport Bus Service – Aerotib

  • ticket price for bus curently €5.00  ( which is reduced to €1.00 per trip with the citizens card  – You have to top the card up first  –  here is a link to the fares.    The service is provided to the following areas …. routes
Logo EMT

Tarjeta Cuidanana – Citizens card to enjoy cheaper bus fares on the EMT transport system. You can obtain one of these if you are Registered  ( empadromiento ) in Palma.

Empresa Municipal de Transports Urbans de Palma de Mallorca

Customer service office , C/ Josep Anselm Clavé 5. 07002 Palma de Mallorca, (+34) 971 214 444,




TIBça d’Espanya, s/n, Palma,  (+34) 971 177 777 –

Opening times:   Monday to Sunday: 05:30 to 23:30

Car Hire /  Airport Parking

SIXT, Europcar, Hertz, Enterprise, Dollar and OK Cars are amongst the many car hire companies here in Mallorca. For further info


Balearia Ferries


Plane / Airlines

Palma Airport –

Airport Bus Service – Aerotib 

Parking in Palma

There is plenty of underground parking in Palma, and there are blue zones, where you have to pay, and white zones, where there is free parking  –  if you can find a space  !

  • There is an online app that you can use to pay for parking which is called MobiAppParc  –  

If you are a resident of Palma, then there is also the option of a parking permit. You have to be registered as living in Palma, and the car also needs to be registered at the same address. Then you can apply for the permit, which at the moment costs around €24 per annum.

To renew your residents permit –  click here for more information.


Here in Spain cars have to pass an ITV , which is like the MOT in the UK. This is done as per the year of the car and depending on what vehicle type you have and the purpose for the use of the car.

Hire cars have to pass the ITV every 6 months normally, as do some other commercial vehicles.

Servicios ITV SGS, tus red de estaciones oficiales de ITV

Servicios ITV – Book in a vehicle for ITV and then pay online.

ITV Inca

ITV Palma I (Pol. Son Castelló)

ITV Palma II (Can Pastilla)

ITV Manacor

ITV Calvia (NEW)

English Registered can be transferred to Spanish plates if planning to stay longer than is allowed by the Spanish Laws.

Taking Vehicle out of the UK

Less than 12 months :-

You should take your vehicle log book (V5C) with you if you’re taking your vehicle abroad for less than 12 months. You may have to show it if you’re stopped at a port or while driving abroad by police / border controls.

Make sure your V5C has your current addreess.

You can apply in advance if you need to get a V5C or update your V5C before you travel. Due to Coronavirus (COVID-19) it may take longer than usual to process.

UK law still applies to a UK-registered vehicle if you take it abroad for less than 12 months. That means you need to make sure:

  • your vehicle is taxed in the UK while it’s abroad
  • you have a current MOT
  • you have insurance

You’ll also need to make sure you meet any international or national conditions for licensing and taxation.

Bringing your vehicle back untaxed

If you bring your vehicle back to the UK untaxed you cannot drive it back into the UK – it’ll have to be transported and a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) must be made straight away.

Papers required to transfer car ownership

What papers do I need to transfer a car over ?

  • permisso de circulacion
  • ficha tecnicha
  • residencia
  • passport
  • compra venta  /  sales contract between buyer and seller
  • you will need to pay about 56 euros for the transfer tax at Traffico
  • then you will get a number and then go upstairs at Traffico and wait to be called to finish the process.
  • car tax will need to be up to date also, if not this has to be paid before the transfer of ownership can take place

Exchanging an EU or EEA licence for a Spanish licence

The holder of an EU or EEA driving licence may exchange it for an equivalent Spanish licence.

To request an appointment to exchange your UK license visit the DGT website

An application should be made to the Provincial Traffic Headquarters of the applicant’s province of residence a completed application form needs to be completed. The form is issued by the Provincial Traffic Headquarters.

Documents required:

  • Application form (PDF in Spanish)
  • Proof of identity (passport original and copy)
  • Proof of residence ( NIE number – Número de Identificación de Extranjero)
  • Valid driving licence to be exchanged (original and photocopy)
  • Two recent photographs (32 by 25 mm)
  • Declaration in writing stating that the applicant has not been banned or suspended from driving
  • Declaration in writing stating that the applicant does not hold another driving licence of the same class in another country
  • Fee of €28.30 (2020 rate)

For further info visit the DGT . The website is available in English

UK driving licenses will no longer be valid for driving in Spain from the 31st December 2020.  Permanent residents from the UK must exchange, renew or replace their license with a Spanish one before that date.  

The DGT is aware that UK and other licence holders are facing problems in obtaining an appointment. They will soon introduce a new process to streamline the current exchange process until the end of the year. UK licence holders will be asked to complete a form with the details the DGT needs in order to verify the driving licence with the UK authorities. This form must be submitted to the DGT by 25 December at the very latest.

Once a person has presented their form, they will need to obtain an appointment with DGT to finalise the exchange process. However, as long as the form was submitted by the date above, and the licence verified by the DGT before the end of the year, the appointment to complete the process can be after 1 January 2021.

Make an appointment

Used Cars for Sale Mallorca

Check out our page on Facebook for Used Cars for Sale in Mallorca. With over 2000 members, there are regular posts to purchase your next set of wheels.

Our facebook page is on the first page of google when typing in Used Cars Mallorca